Are you interested in connecting with a diverse set of arts professionals? Do you want to support your peers through inclusive programming? Have you thought about being an active participant in Emerging Arts Leaders/Los Angeles? Become a part of the Leadership Council!
We are currently looking for new At-Large Members! The role of an At-Large Member is to provide hands-on support to the work of EAL/LA through the Leadership Council, ensuring that the mission and vision of EAL/LA are fulfilled from year to year. Please see below for a complete description of the At-Large Members’ role within the Leadership Council.
To apply for the position please fill out this application and email your CV or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 4. The Statement of Intent should address your professional development goals, your involvement in the LA arts community, the sub-committee(s) with which you most want to work (this is flexible and you can change your mind), and what you feel you can contribute to the Leadership Council.
- ALM Applications Open: May 14
- Applications Close: June 4
- Elections Open: June 18
- Elections Close: June 25
- Notified by July 7
- LC Onboarding Retreat: July 21*
- Summer Soiree: mid-August
*All new At-Large Members must be available for the first Leadership Council Retreat.
Application Pack Checklist:
- Email your CV or resume to email@example.com
- Fill out the ALM Application which includes a Biography (250 words) and Statement of Intent (500 words)
Your biography and statement of Intent will be shared online as part of the election process, so voters (EAL/LA community) can learn more about the candidates and make an informed decision. Your CV or resume will be for internal use only.
About the Leadership Council
The EAL/LA Leadership Council (LC) is a volunteer committee that steers, plans, and implements EAL/LA’s programming and services agenda. The LC is made up of two Co-Chairs, a Programming Subcommittee, Development Subcommittee, and Marketing/Communications Subcommittee, and our upcoming At-Large Members.
The At-Large Member
The role of an At-Large Member (ALM) is to provide hands-on support to the work of the LC and thus to help ensure that the mission and vision of EAL/LA are fulfilled from year to year. At-Large Members are elected to a one-year term by a vote of the EAL/LA general membership. They may ‘re-up’ for a second one-year term if they so choose. At-Large Membership is the first step one can take with the LC prior to becoming an LC Co-Chair or Subcommittee Co-Chair. In other words, LC Chairs and Co-Chairs are selected from At-Large Members each year, or when vacancies arise. After one year as an At-Large Member, At-Large Members may apply for any vacancies in Co-Chair positions. Co-Chair positions are voted on by LC members only.
What is required of an At-Large Member?
1) At-Large Members are fully participating, voting members of the LC. Therefore their attendance at monthly LC meetings, events, and gatherings is a significant part of their commitment. The time commitment an ALM can expect is one LC meeting per month (1.5 hours), one committee meeting per month (1.5 hours), and variable hours of online prep work for meetings and events throughout the month (2-5 hours). In addition, there are quarterly 3 hours retreats (total of 12 hours/annual term) and monthly public events which ALMs are encouraged to attend & pitch in for whenever possible (estimated 15 hours/annual term).
2) At-Large Members are expected to select one or two Subcommittee areas within which to work in each year, assisting Co-Chairs with programs and activities of that group and participating in events.
3) At-Large Members are expected to attend a majority of the events and activities of EAL/LA as a whole, supporting their LC colleagues in the work of the organization.
4) At-Large Members, like all LC Members, are ambassadors for EAL/LA, and are charged with inviting new people to events, encouraging colleagues to participate, and spreading the word about EAL/LA to interested professionals and upcoming leaders in Los Angeles County.
What are the benefits of being an At-Large Member?
1) $350 Annual Scholarship
As a reward for their service, all members of the Leadership Council are eligible for a $350 annual scholarship to be dedicated toward individual professional development or self-care. At-Large Members may apply for funding by emailing the Managing Director & LC Co-Chairs with an outline of their proposed usage and schedule. All ALMs taking advantage of this funding opportunity must:
- Briefly report out to the Leadership Council about their experience
- Write a blog post (250-500 words) about their experience for publication on the EAL/LA website
- Submit receipts to the Managing Director in order to receive reimbursement
2) Free Classes at the Center for Non-Profit Management
As active members of the Leadership Council, all ALMs are eligible for tuition-waived courses at the Center for Nonprofit Management throughout their term. Please see the schedule of offerings here.
3) Opportunities & New Friends Galore
Service on the LC as an ALM provides ample opportunity for professional and leadership development. As an ALM, you will learn about opportunities for further involvement within EAL/LA, your peer's arts organizations, and the broader Los Angeles arts sector. You will be working alongside a group of supportive, passionate, and dedicated creatives who want to help you realize your fullest potential both professionally and personally.